I upgraded to Vista about 2 weeks ago. I had to, because uninstalling Visual Studio 2005 left my computer unusable. It locked up the mouse and had to be periodically rebooted.
Vista is really great. I wouldn’t recommend it for business yet, because its mostly frivolous glamour and glitz. But, for home use, it is just awesome!
Here is my top-10 likes:
1) It boots twice as fast as XP.
2) It runs faster than XP.
3) The UI looks beautiful, even though I don’t have the fancy glass due to my cheap video card.
4) Hibernate actually works!
5) User switching is fast and painless; it finally works!
6) The built in search on the start menu really makes finding programs easy.
7) Multi-language packs (Vista Ultimate only) work well. We switch between English and Japanese profiles easily. No more needing to maintain two computers for this!
8) Chess Titans is cool
9) Built in parental controls are great. Finally, I can actually monitor what the kids do, rather than just telling them I can.
10) The task manager has finally been updated to keep units in MB rather than KB.
As a testimony to how much I like Vista – consider this. I’ve been using 2 monitors for a couple of years now. I like 2 monitors. But, Vista can’t grok my two NVidia cards. It only can use one or the other. So, despite being confined back into the world of the improverished single-screeners, I still like Vista. I’m going to keep Vista and only curse Microsoft a couple of times when I buy my new video card (not NVidia).